Do You Suffer From Paresthesia? Here Are The Symptoms, Causes & Treatment
Have you ever experienced a numbing, pricking, tingling or burning sensation in your limbs and there was no known cause behind it? Then it's likely to be a condition called paresthesia, there can be numerous causes leading to this condition which could be of two types: Temporary and permanent.
Almost all of us have experienced the numbing and pricking sensation in our hands, legs, arms and feet which we refer to have "fallen asleep". This sensation takes place after we unknowingly put pressure on our nerve, this sensation normalizes after we remove the pressure from the nerve by changing our body's position and hence doesn't require any treatment.
If you suffer from permanent paresthesia, you will experience a piercing pain along with difficulty in moving your limbs. If you feel that the symptoms of this condition are prevailing for a longer duration you should consult your doctor immediately as it could be pointing towards nerve damage that might need immediate treatment.
There are two types of nerve damage: radiculopathy and neuropathy.
1. Radiculopathy: It is caused because of a pinched nerve in the spine which can lead to various symptoms like pain, numbness as well as weakness. This symptom can occur when one or more nerves don't function properly after getting affected.
In this kind of nerve damage, the damage takes place at or near the root of the nerve which exits from the spinal cord. The pain often passes on to the organ related to the body parts linked to that nerve.
- Cervical spine, which is the neck
- Thoracic spine, which is the mid-back
- Lumbar spine, or the lower back spine
- Sacrum which connects the spine to the hips
- Coccyx or the tailbone
Here are the primary causes for radiculopathy:
This kind of nerve damage can usually be treated without any surgery and with the help of medicines like:
2. Neuropathy: This is caused due to the motor and sensory nerve damage which is chronic. Permanent nerve damage can cause permanent numbness High blood sugar or hyperglycemia is the main cause of this type of nerve damage.
Yoga and relaxation techniques can also help in improving the physical as well as emotional symptoms of nerve damage.
பனைமரம் - Panaimaram